Hello and thank you for your interest in the Poetry School’s Online Courses.
If you're not sure if an online course is something for you, take a few minutes to answer the questions about basic computer skills and internet access below. Your answer to all these questions has to be 'yes', but if you're not sure about something, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible.
Please note that the course will largely consist of written communication, exercises and activities, so you will need to be confident that you can read and write well in English.
We hope that students will develop supportive critical friendships within the group so that they are able to comment honestly on both successful poems and poems with room for improvement.
- Do you have experience or understanding of standard creative writing workshop practice?
- Do you appreciate that you will need to offer constructive critical perspectives on the poems submitted by your fellow students during the course; and that your fellow students will be doing the same for your poems?
- Can you commit to 2 hour chat, posting to the forum as appropriate and drafting or writing a poem every fortnight?
- Can you login to the Poetry School Online twice / three times a week?
- Are you available for the whole of the course?
- Have you got reliable access to the Internet (via a broadband connection) and are you using any of the following browsers: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome?
- You need the following skills to successfully study online - please contact us if you think you are not able to do any of these things:
Creating and saving documents in Word (.doc only)
Finding previously saved documents
Receiving and replying to emails
Storing emails so they can be found easily
Attaching documents to emails / opening email attachments
Finding a web page using a web address (url) or link
Using back and forward buttons on a browser
Entering and participating in real-time chat
Reading forum entries and posting to threads
Uploading files to a website / opening files from a website